In 1824, on February 25, the Baptist General Tract Society was formed in Washington, DC.  The purpose was to publish Christian Literature and Sunday School materials.  Two years later the Society moved to Philadelphia.  In 1841 the first colporters were appointed to distribute the literature.  Out of this society came the American Baptist Historical Society (1853), The Board of Education and Publication (1888), and eventually the Publication arm was named Judson Press.  The picture above is one of the first colporter wagons.

Share →