Download our newsletter, Primary Source. Published 3-4 times per year, Primary Source keeps friends and members of the American Baptist Historical Society informed about what’s happening, including peeks at some of the treasures from the collections.
ABHS Primary Source Newsletter, Volume 12,
No. 4, Fall, 2014
- Paul Reeder Repairs Books
- Young Authors Visit ABHS
- Dr. Beverly Mitchell Focus of Annual Event
Download: Issue 4, Fall, 2014
ABHS Primary Source Newsletter, Volume 12, No. 2/3, Spring/Summer 2014
- New Board Members
- Japanese Missionaries
- Japanese Internment Camps
ABHS Primary Source Newsletter, Volume 12, No. 1, Winter 2014
- Judson Heritage Explored & Celebrated
- Welcome Paul Gjenvick, our new digital/processing archivist (part-time).
- Baptists in Early North America
- Mission for Life: The Judson Family and the Mission to Burma
- Thanks for Your Generosity Towards Our Ministry of Memory for 2013
Download: ABHSPrimarySource-2014-v12-No1 [PDF]
ABHS Primary Source Newsletter, Volume 11, No. 4, Fall 2013
- The Judson Conference, Learning From The Past
- Younger Award Presented at Biennial
- Glimpses of Biennial 2013
- From the Archives, the Shan Album project. ABHS is offering photographic reproduction of the “Elephant Men” leaf shown in this newsletter for $125.00. To order,
contact ABHS at email@example.com or 678-547-6680.
- Wish List and Thanks
- Racial Reconciliation: From the Emancipation Proclamation to Trayvon Martin, a lecture by Dr. Andrew M. Manis.
Download: ABHSPrimarySource-2013-v11-No4 [PDF]
ABHS Primary Source Newsletter, Volume 11, No. 2 & 3, Spring/Summer 2013
- Myanmar on Mission
- Shining the Light on Karen History: The Morning Star Project
- From the Archives: Burma Then and Now
- Liele Book Launch: On March 22nd the Historical Society welcomed authors and interested readers to the launching of a new book, to a new Liele portrait, and a celebration of George Liele’s Life and Legacy; An Unsung Hero.
- Wish List
- Biennial Breakfast “Freedom & Mission” Sunday, June 23, 2013 7:45 a.m. Overland KS, Convention Center
- Visit the ABHS Exhibit at Biennial
Download: ABHSPrimarySource-2013-v11-No2-3 [PDF]
ABHS Primary Source Newsletter, Volume 11, No. 1, Winter 2013
- Forever Free: The current exhibit at the Historical Society is Forever Free: American Baptist Home Missions in the Vanguard of Liberty.
- Younger Award Portfolios Due May 1st
- 325th anniversary of First Baptist Church, Providence, RI, founded by Roger Williams in support of religious liberty for those who differed from Congregational views.
- Thanks for Your Generosity
- Package from India
- From the Archives: A rare pamphlet, Schools for Colored Preachers (1870), promotes giving in support of education for freed people.
- Wish List
Download: ABHSPrimarySource-2013-v11-No1 [PDF]
ABHS Primary Source Newsletter, Volume 10, No. 3 & 4, Summer/Fall 2012
- A Series of Judson Journeys By Deborah Van Broekhoven
- Georgia Chin Baptist Church Assists with Judson200 Project
- BURMA BAPTISTS AT ABHS
- Call for Papers, June 20th, 2013, Overland Park, Kansas
- Rev. Dr. Al Brinson — Minister in Residence
- Fellowship Available
- Wish List
- Discussion Guide Available: Bless God and Take Courage
- American Baptist Quarterly
Download: ABHSPrimarySource-2012-v10-No3-4 [PDF]
ABHS Primary Source Newsletter, Volume 10, No. 2, Spring 2012
- Judson200 — From Salem to Burma and Back!
- Book Talk on Judson Legacies: The springboard for the discussion will be Rosalie Hunt’s book, Bless God and Take Courage: The Judson History and Legacy (Judson Press, 2005).
- Church Records Project Begins: Spearheading this project are three excellent volunteers: Rev. Garth Brokaw, and Rev. Don and Ginny Rasmussen. Volunteers Needed for Church Records Project.
- Friendship Baptist Church Celebrates Sesquicentennial
- Tour Burma with Rosalie Hunt
- ABQ: Why Baptist History Matters
- The Morning Star Exhibit Opens on Judson200.org
- Meet Our New Board Members: Kent Berghuis, Jonathan Malone, Everett C. Goodwin, John Douhan, and Heidi Holmstrom
- ABHS at the Cincinnati Art Museum
- ABHS Volunteer Spotlight: Della Spearman—Public Historian
Download: ABHSPrimarySource-2012-v10-No2 [PDF]
ABHS Primary Source Newsletter, Volume 10, No. 1, February 2012
- Judson Bicentennial Launch
- Judson Legacy Tour to Burma
- Judson Conference 2013
- Rev. Ronny Lanier & Judson
- Judson200 Calendar
- Thanks for Your Generosity
- From the Archives: Luther Rice Letters to Howard Malcom 1821
- WISH LIST
- Travel to Myanmar January 18-30, 2013
Download: ABHSPrimarySource-2012-v10-No1 [PDF]
ABHS Primary Source Newsletter, Volume 9, No. 3, Summer 2011
- The Romance of Emily Chubbuck Judson
- What is Judson200?
- Burma/Myanmar Tour & Conference in 2013
- Lower Providence Baptist Church Receives 2011 George D.
Younger Award for Excellence in Local Church History
- ABHS at the American Baptist Churches 2011 Biennial June 24-26, San Juan, Puerto Rico
- History in Ponce, PR: A Place of Sorrow and Joy
- From the Archives: letter, dated November, 1885 from Arthur Carson, pioneer missionary to the Chin hill tribes in Burma, written to the American Baptist Foreign Mission Society while Arthur Carson was a student at Shurtleff College (a Baptist school in Illinois).
- For the Love of Walter and Winifred
Download: ABHSPrimarySource-2011-v09-No3 [PDF]
ABHS Primary Source Newsletter, Volume 9, No. 2, SPRING 2011
- Ready for Puerto Rico
- A BIG “Thank You” to Our 2010 Donors
- Bon Voyage to our Archivist, Betty Layton
- In Memoriam: American Religious History Scholar, ABHS Board Member, Ed Gaustad
- From the Archives: excerpts from Ruth Maldonado, home missionary and nurse, eight-page annual report in 1954—written in bright green ink!
- Wish List
- What You Can Experience At the Biennial: American Baptist Churches, USA, Biennial Meeting in San Juan, Puerto Rico, June 24-26
- Announcement: ABHS Annual Baptist History Celebration, Friday Evening September 23, 2011
Download: ABHSPrimarySource-2011-v09-No2 [PDF]
ABHS Primary Source Newsletter, Volume 9, No. 1, February 2011
- Jan Ballard Begins Work as New Archivist
- The Rev. Dr. George Tooze, Baptist Pastor, to Tell the Emily Judson Story
- Betty Layton to Retire after 22 Years of Ministry
- From the Archives: Letter from September 27, 1897 from Rich. M. Colgate of Colgate and Company to Mrs. Wilson regarding the manuscripts of T. J. Bailey.
- New Student Staff Serve as Assistant Archivists through the Mercer Work/Study Program.
- ABHS to Hold Open House during ABCOTS Annual Session in Atlanta.
- Upcoming Events
Download: ABHSPrimarySource-2011-v09-No1 [PDF]
ABHS Primary Source Newsletter, Volume 8, No. 4, November 2010
- Premiere of Restored Mather Film Draws Alums
- Call for Papers: Memory, Identity, and Hope: Intersections in American Baptist Ecclesiology
- Theological Discussions in American Baptist Quarterly (ABQ) and ordering back issues of ABQ
- History Matters Campaign Phase I Report 2007-2010
- Archivist Betty Layton To Retire Next Year
- From the Archives: Margaret Wenger compiled an unpublished history of Mather School in 1968, the year the school celebrated its centennial and, due to the changing times, closed. This excerpt is one alumna’s account of her school years and the decade following.
- Good News Available on DVD!
- Why Your Support Matters
- Volunteers, We Need You!
- ABHS Biennial Breakfast, Sunday, June 26, 2011
- Friday evening, September 23, 2011, ABHS Annual History Celebration.
Download: ABHSPrimarySource-2010-v08-No4 [PDF]
ABHS Primary Source Newsletter, Volume 8, No. 2 & 3, May 2010
- Saving History: Oriented to Haiti
- Thanks for the Memories (special gifts to the ABHS Annual Fund or the History Matters Campaign)
- New Internet Resources: Our Legacy as American Baptists in Puerto Rico and the Caribbean
- A Great Loss: Clydia Nahwooksy. With the Nahwooksy legacy so rich and varied, the American Baptist Historical Society is concerned to collect and preserve documents and stories about the lives of Clydia and Reaves and their family.
- ABHS on the Road to the BWA Congress
- Angels in Our Pilgrimage: Victor Mercado, by José Norat-Rodriguez
- From the Archives: In the Land of Forgotten People In 1925, the Northern Baptist Convention’s Missions published a series of four articles on the origin and development of Baptist churches in Haiti. At the same time they were telling the story, they were asking for more information, much like the Historical Society does today.
- La Historia de Su Iglesia
- The Rest of the Story… is found in a letter to the editor, Missions, May1925, p. 301
- Good News: The story of Mather School is told in this beautifully restored film from 1949.
Download: ABHSPrimarySource-2010-v08-No2-3 [PDF]
ABHS Primary Source Newsletter, Volume 8, No. 1, February 2010
- Meet the New Members to the Board of Managers
- The Rev. Dr. Timothy Boddie
- Mrs. Shirley Fair
- Dr. Lawrence E. Carter, Sr.
- Dr. Barbara Chicks
- The Rev. Dr. Adam Bond
- Mrs. Averett Shannon
- Mr. Joe Stoner
- Vacation in History, Summer Volunteers Needed!
- Lunch & Learn: Dr. George Tooze Discusses New Book Series on Emily Judson
- Intern Rachel Trent Becomes New ABHS “Web Empress”
- From the Archives: This protest of mob violence and lynchings from 1914 is one that Rev. Charles H. Hampton (1903-1979) saved in his collection of press coverage of race and church matters.
- In Memoriam: Rev. Dr. Edwin H. Tuller, General Secretary, ABC, USA 1959-1970
- Thanks for Your Support!
- BMTS to Celebrate Alum Association’s Centennial
Download: ABHSPrimarySource-2010-v08-No1 [PDF]
ABHS Primary Source Newsletter, Volume 7, No. 2, April-June 2009
- Settling In to our new location on the Atlanta Campus of Mercer University
- Lunch & Learn: An Easy Way to Share Baptist History
- In Memoriam: Dr. Robert Handy, noted church historian and beloved professor
- In Memoriam: Dr. Ella Pearson Mitchell, the first female dean of Sisters Chapel, Spelman College, Atlanta, GA, and the first woman to preach at Hampton Ministerial Conference
- Breakfast with Baptists! and celebrate Baptist history on Sunday,June 28, at the ABHS Breakfast in Pasadena, CA.
Download: ABHSPrimarySource-2009-v07-No2 [PDF]
ABHS Primary Source Newsletter, Volume 7, No. 1, January-March 2009
- Ensuring the Vision—History Matters!
- Orientation to ABC Life conference for seminarians and pastors new to the ABC. Discussions of Baptist history included colporters / evangelists who traveled the American frontier.
- Ensuring the Vision — Part II — Staffing
- Native American Church History
- History Matters — For Breakfast! Come join us Sunday morning, June 28, for the ABHS Breakfast in Pasadena, CA.
- The George D. Younger Award for Excellence in Local or Regional American Baptist History
- Spanish-American Baptist Seminary
- How To Contact Us at Our New Home
Download: ABHSPrimarySource-2009-v07-No1 [PDF]