March 31, 1836.  Philadelphia Baptist Association granted a charter to Haddington Theological and Literary Institution.  Haddington was the only school belonging to the Baptist denomination in Pennsylvania and is the first established by the oldest association in the United States.  It was originally located about 4 miles west of Philadelphia, but in 1838 it was moved to Germantown and renamed the Germantown Collegiate Institution.  In another few years it went out of business.  But, the Association’s interest in education resulted in the rise of Sunday schools and other educational institutions.

Share →