Access Policies and Procedures
- Our reading room is open to the public Monday through Friday, 10am to 5pm. See Calendar for holidays and other closures. We invite visitors to enjoy the reading room exhibits and use reference materials on the open shelves. All visitors must sign our guest register.
- Our collections are maintained in closed stack areas and are available to researchers by appointment only. To request an appointment time, please fill out the form on our Contact page.
- Researchers must abide by all reading room procedures:
- Show photo ID and sign the guest register.
- Laptops computers, blank paper for note-taking and pencil (no pens) are the only personal items that a researcher may have on the desk while using collection materials from the closed stacks. No personal books, research notes, backpacks. Lockers with keys are provided free for all such personal items.
- Researchers are not permitted in closed-stack areas. Researchers request items with call slips, and materials are retrieved by staff.
- Handle all collections materials carefully, as directed by the reference staff. Some materials may require the use of book cradles, gloves, etc.
- No food or . drink in the reading room.
- Research fees: ABC Partners, CRCDS, and Mercer University students, faculty and staff, no charge. Students with IDs from other educational institutions, $5/day. All other researchers, $10/day.
- Fees for day use and photocopies will be assessed and paid at the end of the researcher’s visit. On-site researchers should submit all photocopy requests at least 30 minutes before they plan to leave for the day. Staff will spend up to 15 minutes per research day per patron fulfilling photocopy requests. Photocopying that cannot be completed by the end of the patron’s on-site visit will be completed within five business days and mailed to the patron, who will be invoiced for the cost of the copies and shipping.
Research by Mail
Access policies and procedures
- Our research by mail service is designed to assist distance researchers with focused, fact-based queries. Research is conducted by trained graduate student assistants, under the supervision the Society’s archivist. Fee: $40/hour of research
- To access this service, complete the Research by Mail Form and Duplication Agreement and Fees.
- Mail forms with research fee ($40.00 check or money order) to American Baptist Historical Society, 3001 Mercer University Dr., Atlanta, GA 30341. ATTN: Research by Mail. Note that requests will not be processed until the fee is received.
- The fee covers one hour of research. Users of the research by mail service will receive a written response to their query, including a list of all resources searched, in approximately four weeks. If photocopying or additional hours are needed and approved by the patron, these additional services will be invoiced.
Duplication of collection materials are for personal research only. For information regarding permission and fees to publish, exhibit, or otherwise present collection materials publicly, please contact the archivist. All duplication services require completion of a duplication agreement. All decisions regarding duplication are based on the preservation considerations and are at the discretion of the archivist. Duplication Fees.
Listed below are the fees for duplicating materials from the American Baptist Historical Society (ABHS) collections. Charges are subject to change without notice. Some circumstances may change the cost of reproduction, so please check with staff to receive an estimate of cost prior to duplication.
Photocopies by library staff only. Please allow up to two weeks for service and delivery.
- Letter/legal-sized copy $0.50
- Ledger-sized copy $0.75
- Surcharge for large orders $10.00 per 100 copies
- Surcharge for rush orders $10.00
- Surcharge for postage and packaging See staff
Materials are microfilmed to protect fragile originals. Researchers may not use original materials for which microfilm or other surrogates are available. There are no limits on the amount of microfilmed materials that may be copied.
- Printed by on-site patrons $0.50 per copy
- Offsite request $0.50 per copy
In-House Digital Photography by Patrons
Researchers may use small cameras to photograph materials. Note, however, that ABHS limits the amount of original manuscript materials that may be photographed to no more than 25% or any folder or manuscript volume. Photographs may not be taken of certain types of materials, e.g., original photographs and fragile originals. All materials to be photographed by researchers must be pre-approved by reference staff.
- Daily fee – flat rate $15.00