August 24, 1832.   Northumberland Baptist Association in Pennsylvania resolved to found a university in Lewisburg, PA because it was “desirable that a Literary Institution should be established in Central Pennsylvania, embracing a High School for male pupils, another for females, a College and also a Theological Institution.” In 1846, the “school preparatory to the University” opened in the basement of the First Baptist Church in Lewisburg. Known originally as the Lewisburg High School, it became, in 1848, the Academic and Primary Department of the University at Lewisburg. In 1886, the name was changed to Bucknell in honor of William Bucknell, a member of the Board of Trustees, whose large donation kept the institution from collapse.  ABHS has a collection of correspondence and historical catalogs from Bucknell.  We also have biographical information and an image for William Bucknell.

Share →